Police in Louisville, Kentucky, identified 23-year-old Connor Sturgeon as the suspected shooter on Monday that left four individuals dead and nine others injured.

On Monday afternoon, Louisville Metro Police Department (LMPD) Interim Chief Jacquelyn Gwinn-Villaroel said that officers engaged with Sturgeon at the Old National Bank early Monday morning and fatally shot him. Police also confirmed that Sturgeon worked at the bank.

A LinkedIn profile believed to belong to Sturgeon listed his employment as starting about a year and eight months before the shooting. The profile listed his alma mater as the University of Alabama. A spokesperson for the University of Alabama confirmed to Newsweek that a student by the same name attended the school from 2016-2020, the same dates listed on the LinkedIn profile in question. However, the spokesperson could not confirm the student in their records was the alleged shooter.

The four victims were identified on Monday afternoon by local law enforcement as Tommy Elliot, 63, Jim Tutt, 64, Joshua Barrick, 40, and Juliana Farmer, 45. Police have not yet released a motive for the shooting.

Louisville Shooting
Andy Beshear, the governor of Kentucky, speaks during a news conference after a gunman opened fire at the Old National Bank building on Monday in Louisville, Kentucky. Police identified 23-year-old Connor Sturgeon as the suspected shooter that left four individuals dead.
Luke Sharrett/Getty

On Monday morning, police first confirmed that they were responding to a shooting at the 300 block of East Main Street, which was later revealed as a bank. “There is no longer an active aggressor threat. The suspected shooter has been neutralized,” the LMPD said in a tweet later on in the morning.

The shooting on Monday comes shortly after a school shooting occurred last month in Nashville, Tennessee, that left three children and three adults dead.

In a series of tweets on Monday, the LMPD shared new details of the shooting and said that officers first received the call of an “active aggressor” at around 8:30 a.m. local time. Officers with the LMPD were on the scene within minutes of the report, the tweets said.

“Total deceased is 5. At least 6 more were transported to UL hospital,” the LMPD tweeted at the time, adding that “there is no longer a danger to the public.”

While speaking to reporters, Deputy Chief Paul Humphrey of the LMPD said officers “encountered active gunshots still being fired inside the location,” shortly after arriving on scene.

In another tweet on Monday, the LMPD said that one of their own officers, identified as Nickolas Wilt, was “critically wounded” after attempting to stop the shooter.

“Officer Nickolas Wilt, a new officer to the LMPD, ran towards the gunfire today to save lives. He remains in critical condition after being shot in the head,” the department said in another tweet sharing a photo of Wilt.

Meanwhile, police on Monday confirmed that Sturgeon livestreamed the shooting on social media.

“I will say this that the suspect was live streaming and unfortunately that’s tragic to know that that incident was out there and captured,” Gwinn-Villaroel said. “We’re hopeful that we can have that incident removed.”

Newsweek reached out to the LMPD for further comment via email and phone.

Update 4/10/2023, 4:27 p.m. ET: This article has been updated with additional information.